Saturday, September 12, 2009
I Know This Much Is True
This is a back-to-basics post and it's mostly for me to reiterate what I know to be true for me. If I do these things in approximately the order given, I'll stay in a healthier and happier place. It's a positive list, full of things that I can do versus a bunch of "don'ts". I rebel against the don'ts. I firmly believe in that whole mind-body connection and that I have to keep all things in balance. So here's my list:
1. Practice loving kindness towards myself. Constantly berating myself never did a damn thing to make my ass any smaller or make me any happier.
2. Spend time daily meditating/deep breathing/getting centered. This makes dealing with all the other crap much easier. As Cammy said "be where you butt is".
3. The first rule of food: Eat clean. I'll worry about quantities later. I will not deprive, I will not starve. I will eat real, whole and identifiable foods. No junk, no trashy carbs. Good food and enough of it. If I worry about the "what I eat", the "how much I eat" will pretty much take care of itself.
4. Exercise is one of the nicest, most loving gifts that I can give myself. It is not punishment and I will not use it upon myself as such. I cannot overcome a bad diet with exercise. It may hold it at bay for a bit, but it is not sustainable. Exercise is necessary for many reasons, but not as a punishment for any eating behavior.
5. Progress, not perfection.
There's really not much more to it than that. If I follow the above tenets consistently, then I stay in a better space, both literally and figuratively. Spent a good, long time in the gym this morning. It was lovely.
Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Be consistent.
Pic: Kinsale Harbor, Ireland Dec 08.